hair

hair

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Negativity

Today God showed me several examples of my shortcomings and it was very humbling. Unfortunately, two very serious shortcomings are laziness and a bad memory. When I was falling asleep last night and again as I was driving home this afternoon was when God gave me some very good examples. But at the time I said "these are great ideas, I am not going to get out of bed to write them, down, I'll remember." Of course my memory disagreed and the thoughts are gone. But I know that Go will give them to me again as I really have no shortage of traits that need improvement. One in particular that I see myself falling into quite often is negativity. Especially in the workplace.
There is one particular customer that drives me crazy and I have complained (yes, whined) to the sales rep about how ridiculous they are. Today I was complaining about another when the sales asked me if they were just like the other. In his very subtle way, he was making his point that I am negative about customers. I felt terrible, God had shown me exactly what I had asked for, an attitude that I needed to work on. He showed me that I can be very negative and judgmental about people and impatient with them if they didn't know the business. God has shown us infinite mercy, grace and patience as we struggle through life and our lack of faith. Yet here I was complaining about others because they don't have a grasp of the business as well as I do. It's an easy trap to fall into, thinking that I am better than someone else because I have more knowledge about something. Or thinking I am better because they do things differently, or have a different perspective. God sets the example, Jesus showed us how to follow it. We can either chose to follow it, ignore it, or blind ourselves to the truth and see what we want to see. When I was first saved I went from a very negative person to a more positive person. Then I leveled out and may have even fallen back a little. How do I get back to the positive? How do I not only get back to where I was but continue to grow again? God has shown us the truth, we just need to accept it. Start looking for the signs, take the small victories God has given us. Stop taking life for granted.

No comments: