hair

hair

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Going to try This Blogging Thing Again

My first experience with blogging didn't go so well.  Not because people didn't read it (they didn't, but that is not why it was a failure.)  It was a failure because I didn't keep it up.  I don't blog because I want the world to know what I think of things, I don't blog because I have these powerful opinions I want people to know.  I blog because I am technology minded and it is a great way to journal.  So in that regard I could really care less if people read it.  I would actually be surprised if people read this to be honest.  However, this is going to be a journal for me, where I let me heart out and post my frustrations, joys, thoughts and beliefs.  The nice thing about posting online is the threat of people reading it.  The bad thing about it is if people really do read it.  I can be pretty opinionated sometimes and my ideas are not exactly normal all the time.  I will probably offend someone and I will probably make an ass out of myself (more of the the latter than the former.)  It's also a great way to keep myself accountable because in the back of my mind, when I post a commitment or an action plan on how I am going to change myself I will hold to it better just in case someone does stumble across my blog and decide to read it.  And yes, being introspective and trying to improve myself is probably the number one goal of blogging for me.

If you don't know, I am current in school for my Master's degree in Theological Studies.  What that means is that 10 years after I graduated from college, I decided to go back to learn about God.  I still struggle with grammar since in my work life, grammar doesn't matter at all so I haven't thought about it for 10 years.  Since a good part of the schooling centers around Spirituality, formation and self-discipline, I have taken a lot of self-examination tests such as Myers-Briggs etc.  Last year I took one called the Enneagram (http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp) and it was eye opening to me in many ways.  Essentially it classifies people into 9 basic personality types.  Mine is called "the Helper" and it does a pretty damn good job of describing me in a general way.  What it also brings up is deficiencies common in each personality type and for mine it is self-examination.  And it is so true.  I am very critical of myself, and yet have a hard time actually identifying the root causes of my faults and doing something to fix them.  Which finally brings me back to blogging.  My hope and goal is that through this blogging experience, which is really more of an online journal, I can look at myself and make changes.  My blogging (for the most part) will not just be throwing opinions around or bitching about life or ranting about problems.  My blogging is going to include strategies on how I am going to change, examinations of how successful I was at making changes or if the change is even necessary.  Of course all of this may just be empty ideas if I don't sit down and actually write sometimes.  But then again, since I have actually blogged how important it is going to be for me to blog, I am more likely to actually do it now.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yay, welcome to the bloggin' world! :) I warn you, it might be addictive. But it IS a great way to let out things you feel like you never have a chance to say. Have fun!